From orderbird app version 5 onwards you can split bills by the number of guests at a table.
Hotfooting it - how to split bills by number of guests in a nutshell
- To activate “Split by number of guests”, go to Settings>Payment>Manage payment options.
- When you are billing your guests, choose “Split by number of guests” from the Payment options and then tap on “Partial pay”.
- Now you can bill your guests one by one.
A step by step guide to splitting the bill by number of guests
Activate “Split by number of guests”
- In the main menu, go to Settings>Payment>Manage payment options.
- Activate “Split by number of guests” by pulling the slider to the right. The slider will appear blue.
- Tap on “Save” on the upper left corner and confirm your changes.
Billing your guests: Split the bill by number of guests
- Select the table that you would like to bill
- To the bottom left corner, tap on the green area with the dots “…”
- Now tap on “Split by number of guests”
- Enter the number of guests by that you want to split the bill.
…if each guest needs the own receipt
- Tap on “Partial pay”.
- Choose a type of payment, e.g. credit card, cash, voucher, etc. for the first guest and bill them. The app will tell you the correct amount for the split bill.
- Repeat previous step until all guests have paid.
- Confirm all payments have been made by tapping on “Finalize payment”.
...if you guests request only one receipt
- Tap on “Pay”.
- Only one receipt will be printed including information on how much each guest needs to pay if the bill is split.
- If only one receipt is printed, guests should agree on one type of payment (e.g. only cash).
And you’re done! :)
How does the app round uneven amounts when splitting a bill?
That depends on whether you choose “Partial pay” or “Pay” when checking out guests.
When choosing “Partial pay” (exact)
If you split the bill by a number of guests and choose “Partial pay” when checking out your guests, the amount cannot always be split evenly. An example: The amount due is 11€ and needs to be split by three guests. The first guest will pay 3.66€, the second third guest each will pay 3.67€.
When choosing “Pay” (rounded)
If the bill is split by a number of guests and you choose “Pay” when checking them out, the partial amounts will be rounded in your guests’ favour. An example: The amount due is 11€ and needs to be split by three guests. On the final bill, it says that each guest needs to pay 3.66€. This adds up to 10.98€, which is just short of the billed amount, because the system does not show half cents. This means your waiters need to do a little math and ask the guests to pay the missing amount.