orderbird AG is not authorised to provide tax consultancy services. Everything we describe here reflects our experience as well as statements made to us by our customers. You should contact your tax consultant if you want to be absolutely sure about how to handle vouchers.
A broad distinction is made between present vouchers and money-off vouchers.
With present vouchers, for example a "Voucher for a 3-course Candlelit Dinner" or a "Voucher for 2x Brunch", where no direct monetary value is specified, value added tax is due in the month the voucher is sold / issued. You can also issue an voice directly for present vouchers and correctly report the VAT.
CREATE PRESENT VOUCHERS IN ORDERBIRD
- Create a "Vouchers" product group and set the tax rate in this category both in-house and off-site to 20%
- Create your present vouchers as items in this product group with the relevant price
- Create the item for which the voucher is valid in your product group, if it doesn't already exist
- Create a predefined discount to the amount of the respective voucher under Settings --> Payment (e.g.: Candlelit Dinner Voucher with an absolute value of 80£
BOOKING AND CHARGING PRESENT VOUCHERS IN ORDERBIRD
- Selling a present voucher: simply book and charge the voucher in question in the order pad. The VAT is included in the invoice.
- Redeeming a voucher: book the item for which the voucher has been issued and before charging apply the discount for the respective voucher.
Example: Here is a sample invoice for a candle light dinner + drinks.
The voucher is discounted and the drinks remain on the invoice and are paid in cash.
ANALYSING PRESENT VOUCHERS IN MY.ORDERBIRD
- To find out how many coupons you have sold in a month, simply open the item report for the month and search for the respective voucher item
- To find out how many coupons have been redeemed, export the monthly report and search for the number of discounts granted
Money-off vouchers are issued for a fixed amount in euros - e.g. a voucher for 50.00 £.
With these vouchers, the value added tax is not due for payment until they are redeemed, as the vouchers themselves are considered to be a means of payment.
CREATING MONEY-OFF VOUCHERS IN ORDERBIRD
- Create a "Voucher" product group
- Create items to the value of the vouchers (e.g. 5 £, 10 £, 20 £ etc.).
CAUTION: In this case, vouchers cannot be entered as a flexible price (various items), but must be stored with their amount as a fixed item. Items must be marked as expense items.
- Create a payment method entitled Voucher under Settings -> Payment -> Methods of payment
BOOKING AND CHARGING MONEY-OFF VOUCHERS IN ORDERBIRD
- Selling a voucher: simply book and charge the item with the respective value.
As the voucher is marked as an expense item, the revenue from this voucher is not added to the turnover, but is listed separately in the expenses. When the voucher is redeemed, the VAT is calculated and the value of the voucher is included in turnover.
- Redeeming the voucher: Book what the guest has consumed normally. If the voucher is the same amount as the food and drinks consumed, simply charge using Voucher as the method of payment
Paying with a money-off voucher
- Option A: The guest has consumed more than the value of the voucher:
- Click on partial payment
- Select Voucher as the first method of payment and enter the value of the voucher
- Charge the balance using a different method of payment (e.g. Cash)
- Click on partial payment
- Option B: The guest has consumed less than the value of the voucher
it is currently not possible to leave the residual value in orderbird therefore simply write the residual value onto the voucher and return it to the customer.
ANALYSING MONEY-OFF VOUCHERS IN MY.ORDERBIRD
How many vouchers were sold in total?
The total sale of vouchers is listed under expenses / costs incurred on the turnover tab in the detailed booking report
What money-off voucher is most popular? Do your guests buy 20 £ vouchers more often than 50 £ vouchers?
Click on "Item" in the detailed booking report and enter "Voucher" in the search window. Already you can see which vouchers are the most popular.
How many vouchers have been redeemed so far?
Click on "Methods of Payment" in the detailed booking report and you can see right away how many of the vouchers have been redeemed.